"It is worth noting a significant reduction in the number of registered earthquakes. On Wednesday there were 295 and, in recent days, between 600 and 700 had been registered. And, therefore, it was a significant reduction", said the president of the Regional Civil Protection and Fire Department of the Azores (SRPCBA).
Eduardo Faria was speaking to journalists at the Azorean Civil Protection briefing that takes place daily on the island of São Jorge, clarifying that “there is still no interpretation for this reduction that is being analysed by the Center for Seismovolcanic Information and Surveillance of the Azores (CIVISA)".
According to the official, on Wednesday "about 1,300 earthquakes were recorded" and, "between 00:00 and 10:30 today, 295" events were recorded.
Since March 19, when the seismovulvanic crisis began, around 24,000 earthquakes have been registered, of which 221 have been felt by the population, said Eduardo Faria.
The president of the Civil Protection of the Azores revealed that there is “also a change regarding the location of the epicentres” of the earthquakes.