In a statement, the IMT explains that this "direct communication" with the driver will be done by SMS, email, and through the postal service. "This information service will be carried out, in the first phase, for drivers with the light category (B)".
IMT explains that, "the information to be sent will be adapted to the validity of each driver's driving license and will be carried out progressively during the month of December".
To clarify questions from drivers, IMT have released useful information about the service:
1. I received notification by SMS and by postal service, what should I do?
"Proceed according to the instructions indicated in the notice. In case of doubt, you can use the contact form available on the IMT website at https://www.imt-ip.pt/sites/IMTT/Portugues/Contacte-nos/Paginas/Contacte-nos.aspx or call the call center on +351 210 488 488."
2. I received the notice by SMS, email or postal service, but I have already renewed my driving licence, what should I do?
"If you have already renewed your driving licence, you should ignore the communication received."
3. I received notice by SMS, email or postal service, but I do not intend to renew my driving licence, what should I do?
"If you don't want to renew your driving license, you don't have to do anything."
4. Does receiving the communication exempt the presentation of a medical certificate?
"It depends on the driver's age. For drivers aged 50 years or younger, it is not necessary to issue a medical certificate. In cases where it is necessary, the medical certificate is issued electronically and transmitted to the IMT."
5. What is the license renewal process?
"The IMT sends a notice to the driver informing them about the status of the driving license. The request for renewal of the driving license can be made in the following ways:
- If not more than two years have elapsed since the expiry date, you need to submit the revalidation request. To revalidate your driving license, you must go to IMTOnline (www.imtonline.pt), Citizen's Shops, Citizen Spaces or an IMT partners (see locations at www.eportugal.pt );
- If more than two years and less than five years have elapsed since the expiration date, revalidation is subject to passing a practical driving test. To revalidate your driving license, you must go to an IMT office.
- If more than five years and less than 10 years have elapsed since the expiry date, revalidation is subject to attendance at training courses to update knowledge and passing a practical test. To revalidate your driving license, you must go to an IMT counter."
6. Does the communication sent by the IMT include a fee payment request?
"No, this is a merely informative service. Payment of fees for revalidation of the driving license only occurs following contact via imtonline, partners or the IMT counter."