In a tweet, the Brigade said the failure can occur due to faulty batteries and poorly built units.
Do you have an e-scooter or e-bicycle? Are you aware of the dangers around charging?— Dublin Fire Brigade (@DubFireBrigade) January 23, 2023
Damaged batteries and poorly built units can lead to catastrophic failure including fire.
We have hints tips here https://t.co/zr7QErgdu3 pic.twitter.com/mn45DfLhbt
post was accompanied by advice for the prevention of fire caused by e-scooters
and e-bikes, which is listed below.
Lithium-ion batteries or li-ion batteries (sometimes called LIBs) are the lightweight batteries that power e-scooters, e-bicycles and hoverboards. They are safe when they are used properly, but present a fire risk if they are over-charged, short-circuited, submerged in water or if they are damaged.
- Use the charger that came with the product to charge it. If you need a replacement source a genuine charger from the manufacturer or retailer.
- Charge outside if possible. NEVER charge in a the communal space of an apartment block. This a protected fire escape route.
- If you must charge inside, charge in a location that will still allow you to escape from all the rooms in your home. For example, do not charge it in the hallway. Plan your escape routes in advance.
- Charge only for as long as it takes to reach a full charge. Do not charge overnight.
- Unplug the charger if you are leaving your home, even for a short while.
- Never cover the e-scooters, e-bicycle or hoverboards with insulators, such as coats or jumpers and so on. The battery will heat up during use and during charging and this heat needs to dissipate.
- If you notice your e-scooter, e-bicycle or hoverboard behaving erratically, this could be a sign the battery is damaged and needs replacing.
E-scooters are currently illegal on Irish roads due to being considered mechanically propelled vehicles, but the Road Traffic and Roads Bill is expected to change this by designating e-scooters and e-bikes as ‘powered personal transporters’ (PPTs).
Предупреждение о пожароопасности электронных скутеров
Присылайте нам свои комментарии или мнения по этой статье.