The church was built in 1964 but in a very peculiar way. The chapel was constructed inside a rock, being one of the most impressive constructions in Portugal. The construction was built in a very high place, sometimes the fog may affect the visit, as it becomes difficult to see what is around. Nevertheless, it still is a must visit on every trip to Vieira do Minho.
Built-in 1763, this church is located at the beach. Constructed in a rock, the church is shaped as a hexagon and may be difficult to access during a high tide, as it is very close to the sea. Some people believe that sometimes, during the full Moon nights, some cults happen in the place. It is also common to find melted candles around the church.
After climbing 686 steps, visitors will be amazed by the façade of the church made in granite in a Baroque style with two towers with bells. The white and the gold are the main colours of this construction that will make the visitor forget that there were so many steps to reach the top!
Located in one of the highest places of Penafiel, the sanctuary built in the 19th century has very interesting architecture. Having different shapes everyone will be amazed when visiting the place. Once again there are some steps to climb, but not as many as in Nossa Senhora dos Remédios church. Around Santuário do Sameiro there is also a green area, that allows visitors and locals to enjoy a relaxing time in the city.
Some people call this church Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Amparo, but the name will be forgotten as soon as the visitors face the beauty of the façade of this church. Outside there is a beautiful colourful tile that decorates and tells different stories at the same time. Angels and other holy figures were painted in the tile that makes this church one of the most beautiful in the country. The tiles were only put in the church in 1942 and were made in Fábrica Lusitânia, in Lisbon by Jorge Colaço.
In the same council as Igreja Paroquial de Válega, this church is equally beautiful but has some differences. Igreja Matriz de Santa Marinha de Cortegaça has on all its façades blue tiles that were put in the building between 1921 and 1923. The church has two towers with bells and people do not know exactly when it was built, as no documents are registering regarding the construction. It is estimated that it was built in the 12th century.
Located in the downtown of the students’ city, the building that started to be constructed in 1131 has until the 19th century been under construction, because kings were always trying to add something new to the building. The building will take the visitors’ breath away because of its grandiosity. On a side note, the first king of Portugal, D. Afonso Henriques, is buried inside this church.